Your body type is not just about height and weight, but also about shape. Body shape is about proportion and here at Fmag we are all about helping you look your best.
All our bodies are unique and beautiful. Body shapes can be narrowed down to three body types: pears, hourglass and rectangle. But it doesn't end there, Apple and Wedge body shapes are becoming more common. Some of you may fall into a category or are a mix of some.
Once you know your body shape, you can understand which fashion trends to embrace and which ones to avoid.
Pear-shaped celebrities: Kim Kardashian, Katherine Heigl, Eva Mendes
Best assets: Shoulders, torso and flat stomach
Having a pear-shaped body means that your lower body is wider than the upper body. You have a well-defined waist and boot to match.
- Draw focus to the waist and arms
- Minimize your hips
- Experiment with light colored peaks and dark colored bottoms
- Show off your arms with a strapless dress
- Wear jackets that hit right above the waist
- Pointed toe shows will extend your legs
- DO NOT apply pressure to the lower half of the body
Celebrities in hourglass form: Halle Berry, Beyoncé, Scarlett Johannson
Best assets: All your curves
With an hourglass body type, your hips and shoulders are extended with a small waist. Your shape is about showing off your curves.
- Use a belt at the waist to show off your hourglass shape
- Try a wrap dress
- Wear skirts and pants with high waist
- Wear fitted dresses, but not too fitted
- DO NOT hide behind baggy clothes
Celebrities with rectangle shape: Natalie Portman, Kate Hudson, Cameron Diaz
Best assets: Arms and legs
Rectangular bodies are more athletic. This is where the waist and hips are on the narrower side.
- Create curves with necklaces and baby necks
- Wear long jackets
- Layers to add more dimensions
- Have fun with colorful bottoms and classy dresses
- Do NOT wear overwhelming styles
Celebrity with wedge shape: Angelina Jolie, Demi Moore, Naomi Campbell
Best access: legs
The wedge body shape is also called the triangle, this is where the body has a wide upper half, but a narrow waist and hips.
- Draw focus to the waist and hips
- Wear full skirts and pants with wide legs
- Test skirts and pants with high waist
- Wear light colors on the lower half of the body
- DO NOT wear spaghetti straps
Celebrities in apple form: Eva Longoria, Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Hudson
Best access: legs
Since most of your weight accumulates above the hips, you may feel wider than other body types. Your hips may be narrow, but your shoulders are wide.
- Show off your bones and draw attention from your stomach
- Wear the belts in the smallest part of the waist
- Wear a V-ring to create the illusion of a long torso
- DO NOT wear long skirts